NOW HIRING: Senior Designer & Marketing/Social Media Intern
See below for job descriptions and instructions on how to apply.
We do not accept manuscripts. However, potential freelance writers may submit query letters that include well-defined story ideas and published clips to email@example.com. In order to be considered, you must include 3-5 clips, a resume, and cover letter. You must be familiar with the magazine and the magazine’s style. Please, no telephone calls.
We do not accept unsolicited photos. If you are interested in becoming part of our team of freelance photographers, send a query letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. This letter must include links to your work as well as your complete contact information. Please, no telephone calls.
Assignments and Fees
Articles should follow the New South Media style guide (given when assigned or upon request), should be thoroughly fact-checked, and include a list of the story’s sources with contact information. Stories must include headlines and subheads and end with business information, as indicated in the style guide. Writers will receive contracts and W-9s upon being given their first paid assignments.
When a story is assigned to a freelance writer/photographer who has never worked with New South Media before, the assignment is unpaid for the first time. If the relationship continues, a contract will be sent to the writer with payment details for any subsequent article. Checks are mailed on the 15th of each month after the issue hits stands. New South Media does not pay for travel expenses.
Assigned photographers must fill out a photo release form in addition to a contract and W-9.
Bloggers are unpaid. Blogs at wvliving.com and mywvwedding.com are evolving, and applicants with ideas should e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Interns at New South Media are unpaid. Internships are offered year-round in the areas of editorial, photography, administrative, marketing and advertising, and web and video. To be considered, send a resume, cover letter, and samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone interested in an internship must be familiar with the company’s publications and be a team player and self-starter with flexible hours.
The Senior Designer needs to have the ability to manage tight deadlines while maintaining a flawless attention to detail and continually producing smart ideas and concepts on how to visually tell stories. She/he must be able to take direction and constructive criticism as well as working with an eagerness to continue learning. Must possess strong typographic skills and a sophisticated design sense.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Extensive knowledge of typography, layout, and sophisticated design sensibility. Must have strong brand sense.
- Must be a conceptual thinker with the ability to put on an editorial hat and craft something that elevates the content
- Adapt quickly to different aesthetics; fast, efficient, confident.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail with the ability to design multiple projects simultaneously.
- A discerning eye for photography and strong color sense.
- Eagerly collaborative and a creative brainstormer
- Great attitude, an eagerness to be a part of the team, and the drive to learn more and do more.
- Execute the design of bi-monthly publications and a rotating list of speciality publications.
- Collaborate with Publisher, Managing Editor, and design staff in the production and implementation of all projects assigned.
- Be accountable for the leadership and direction of the creative process within assigned teams.
- Maintain proper communication with editorial staff to ensure expectations are understood, objectives are achieved & deadlines are met
- Manage a large volume of work with tight deadlines, and manage your own time.
- Minimum 3 years studio or editorial design experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in design-related field
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- A keen understanding of the print production process—preparation of print ready files, proofing, etc.
- Firm knowledge of web/interactive design and usability is a bonus.
We’re looking for applicants who are organized, ambitious, and strong, creative communicators. To be considered, send resume, cover letter, and portfolio link to email@example.com.
Internships are offered year-round and are unpaid. Interested applicants must be familiar with the company’s publications, have a positive attitude, thrive in a team atmosphere, and have flexible work hours. Please send resume, references, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You Will Learn:
- How to create a long-term social media strategy and marketing calendar
- How to plan and implement social media campaigns and grow New South Media, Inc.’s web presence
- General office responsibilities and duties
- How to operate cohesively on a diverse team
- Work directly with Web/Social Media Manager as well as Advertising Support Specialist
- How to track social media and website analytics using Google Analytics, Hootsuite, and other software
- Repurposing content for print and web
What We Require:
- Actively enrolled in school
- Reliable transportation
- Background in marketing, communications, advertising, or related field
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient knowledge of social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Creative and flexible
The start and end dates of this internship are flexible, but ideally this position needs to be filled as soon as possible. You will be required to work between 15 and 20 hours a week. The position is based out of the Morgantown office. Please send resume, references, and cover letter to email@example.com.